Are You Drained by an Energy Vampire? Take Dr. Orloff’s Quiz
Energy vampires are people who sap your energy. They can have a serious effect on your well-being and self-esteem. Energy vampires can include narcissists, chronic talkers, the victim mentality, the passive aggressive person, the drama queen, the guilt tripper and more. Anyone who has ever shared an office, car pool, or attended a family dinner with an energy vampire has experienced some common reactions. Even after a brief contact, you feel worse, and they feel better. Take this quiz to determine if you’re being drained by an energy vampire.
|1. Do your eyelids get heavy and you feel like you’re ready for a nap?||Yes||No|
|2. Do you ever feel put down or like the rug has been pulled out from under you?||Yes||No|
|3. Does your mood take a nose-dive?||Yes||No|
|4. Do you suddenly feel physical pain?||Yes||No|
|5. Do you want to binge on carbs or comfort food?||Yes||No|
|6. Do you feel toxic or agitated?||Yes||No|
|7. Does the person corner you to tell you their life story?||Yes||No|
|8. Does the person like to gossip and bad-mouth other people?||Yes||No|
|9. Is the person critical, controlling, or punishing?||Yes||No|
|10. Is the person negative and self-obsessed?||Yes||No|
To calculate your results:
- If you’ve answered 9-10 yeses: You have encountered a full-blown energy vampire. You need to either eliminate this person from your life, limit the time you spend with him or her, and/or set healthy boundaries.
- If you’ve answered 7-8 yeses: You are in a relationship with someone who has strong s energy vampire traits. Take precautions to stay grounded and protect your energy.
- If you answered 5–6 yeses: You are in a relationship with someone who is a moderate energy vampire. This can result in a depletion of your energy and self-esteem.
- If you answered 1-4 yeses: You are involved with a person with some energy vampire tendencies. Check to ensure that your confidence isn’t being shaken.
- If you had 0 yeses: It’s unlikely that you’ve met an energy vampire.
Learn practical strategies to deal with specific types of energy vampires in “The Empath’s Survival Guide: Life Strategies for Sensitive People” by Judith Orloff MD. More information at www.drjudithorloff.com
Additional Information on Energy Vampires and Emotional Vampires
Energy vampires and emotional vampires (those who particularly deplete your emotions) are attracted to the openness and loving hearts of empaths and all sensitive people. Sensitive people need to be prepared for them.
In life, I’ve found that some relationships are positive and energizing for my empath patients, but others are draining. In fact, certain people can suck the positivity and peacefulness right out of you. I call these drainers “energy vampires” and “emotional vampires.” At work, at home, or in the world, energy vampires sap your physical and emotional energy. The super toxic ones can make you believe you’re flawed and unlovable. You may tiptoe around them for fear of an explosion. Some attack with put-downs, blame, or shame. They might say, “Dear, you’re looking really tired and old today,” or “You’re too sensitive.” Suddenly they make you feel as if something is wrong with you.