We have collected 50 reasons to stay alive quotes by Matt Haig
1. How to stop time: kiss.
How to travel in time: read.
How to escape time: music.
How to feel time: write.
How to release time: breathe.
2. If you are the type of person who thinks too much about stuff then there is nothing lonelier in the world than being surrounded by a load of people on a different wavelength.
3. Maybe love is just about finding the person you can be your weird self with.
4. A society which demands we be normal even as it drives us insane.
5. There is this idea that you either read to escape or you read to find yourself.
6. Wherever you are, at any moment, try and find something beautiful. A face, a line out of a poem, the clouds out of a window, some graffiti, a wind farm. Beauty cleans the mind.
7. I am you and you are me. We are alone, but not alone. We are trapped by time, but also infinite. Made of flesh, but also stars.
8. I want life. I want to read it and write it and feel it and live it. I want, for as much of the time as possible in this blink-of-an-eye existence we have, to feel all that can be felt.
9. Life is waiting for you. You might be stuck here for a while, but the world isn’t going anywhere. Hang on in there if you can. Life is always worth it.
10. You can be a depressive and be happy, just as you can be a sober alcoholic.
11. There is no standard normal. Normal is subjective. There are seven billion versions of normal on this planet.
12. Three in the morning is never the time to try and sort out your life.
13. The price for being intelligent enough to be the first species to be fully aware of the cosmos might just be a capacity to feel a whole universe’s worth of darkness.
14. Once the storm is over you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, in fact, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.
15. You are no less or more of a man or a woman or a human for having depression than you would be for having cancer or cardiovascular disease or a car accident.
16. To other people, it sometimes seems like nothing at all. You are walking around with your head on fire and no one can see the flames.
17. Just when you feel you have no time to relax, know that this is the moment you most need to make time to relax.
18. There is this idea that you either read to escape or you read to find yourself. I don’t really see the difference. We find ourselves through the process of escaping.
19. The key is in accepting your thoughts, all of them, even the bad ones.
20. Depression is an illness. Yet it doesn’t come with a rash or a cough. It is hard to see, as it is generally invisible.
21. Depression is also smaller than you. Always, it is smaller than you, even when it feels vast.It operates within you, you do not operate within it. It may be a dark cloud passing across the sky but – if that is the metaphor – you are the sky. You were there before it. And the cloud can’t exist without the sky, but the sky can exist without the cloud.
22. Adding anxiety to depression is a bit like adding cocaine to alcohol. It presses fast-forward on the whole experience.
23. That’s the odd thing about depression and anxiety. It acts like an intense fear of happiness, even as you yourself consciously want that happiness more than anything.
24. The more you research the science of depression, the more you realise it is still more characterised by what we don’t know than what we do. It is 90 per cent mystery.
25. Nothing lasts for ever. This pain won’t last. The pain tells you it will last. Pain lies. Ignore it. Pain is a debt paid off with time.
26. A brain is not a toaster. It is complex. It may only weigh a little over a kilo, but it is a kilo that contains a whole lifetime of memories.
27. You might be stuck here for a while, but the world isn’t going anywhere. Hang on in there if you can. Life is always worth it.
28. I was as obsessed with time as some people are about money. It was the only weapon I had.
29. Things aren’t going to get worse. There is only upwards from here.
30. Only a fool or a liar will tell you how the brain works.
31. An annoying thing about depression is that thinking about life is inevitable. Depression makes thinkers out of all of us.
32. Where talk exists, so does hope.
33. When we are trying to get better, the only truth that matters is what works for us.
34. Minds have their own weather systems. You are in a hurricane. Hurricanes run out of energy eventually. Hold on.
35. Depression is not something you ‘admit to’, it is not something you have to blush about, it is a human experience.
36. Your mind is a galaxy. More dark than light. But the light makes it worthwhile.
37. I am satisfied just to be.
38. You will one day experience joy that matches this pain.
39. Everyone would have a label if they asked the right professional.
40. Clouds with silver linings are still clouds.
41. Pretty much every human could find a reason to hate themselves if they thought about it as much as you did.
42. We all matter because we are all alive.
43. People place so much value on thought, but feeling is as essential.
44. Even when the darkness is total. Always know that life is not still. Time is space. You are moving through that galaxy. Wait for the stars.
45. It may be a dark cloud passing across the sky, but – if that is the metaphor – you are the sky.
46. I hate depression. I am scared of it. Terrified, in fact. But at the same time, it has made me who I am.
47. Love is an attitude to life. It can save us.
48. Maybe love is just about finding the person you can be your weird self with.
49. Anxiety takes away all the commas and full stops we need to make sense of ourselves.
50. To panic without a reason, that’s madness. To panic with a reason, that’s sanity.
We hope you liked the Matt Haig quotes on reasons to stay alive